[uf-discuss] Re: On emergent policy and self vs governance in common

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Mon Jan 8 10:17:42 PST 2007

Hi Chris,

On Jan 6, 2007, at 2:45 AM, Chris Messina wrote:

>  I think the point is that anyone should be able to build out and see
> through the execution and development of a microformats, potentially
> entirely outside of this list, simply by religiously adhering to the
> principals by which we govern ourselves and allow ourselves to be
> governed.

I think this was a brilliant post, and I'm tempted to agree, but I'm
not entirely sure what you're asking for!

I completely agree that we should allow -- nay, encourage --
microformat-like discussions and proto-standards to emerge and prove
their viability that don't qualify as "microformats" under the
current Tantek-inspired definition.

However, my preference would be that they:

a) be developed outside this particular list
b) don't call themselves microformats

If you're okay with those two constraints, then you have my full
support, but I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for.  What would
make sense to me is to:

a) Promote the term "semantic HTML" for microformat-like specifications
b) Somebody volunteers to provide lists and wiki hosting services for
alternate communities
     (this could even be microformats.org, under a different namespace)
c) Various individuals who have a concrete vision for non-microformat
development -- and are prepared to enforce it! -- create communities
on those alternate sites
d) Microformats.org creates a meta-discuss mailing list where
governance and the evolving relationship to its rhizomatic cousins
is "on-topic"

Is that in line with your vision?

-- Ernie P.