[uf-discuss] Operator & AUMP bugs: .htm file name parsed as tag

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Wed Jan 10 03:47:45 PST 2007

On 1/9/07, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> Based on:
>
>         <http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/tag-test.htm>
>
> which includes rel-tag links to both:
>
>         <http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/site/links.htm#breadcrumb>
>
>         <http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/club/branches.htm>
>
> Operator and the AUMP are both finding the tags
>
>         links.htm
>
>         branches.htm
>
> and not
>
>         site
>
>         club
>
> respectively.
>

> I think that, in any case, a tag cannot have a period in it - is that
> so? Perhaps there could be a "sanity check" for valid tags? Though I'm
> not sure that there is a canonical specification for what is and isn't
> valid...

I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing here:
- the last path component [1]
- ignore trailing slashes [2]

I'd prefer to minimize the the number of rules that are applied to
what can be valid within a tag and assume that the tagspace itself
defines this, which lets the future be not unnecessarily be
restricted.

Personally, but not off topic, when I create web pages I prefer never
to show the extension for HTML content, roughly inspired by this [3]

Regards, etc...
David

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag#Abstract
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag#Tag_Spaces