[uf-discuss] Microformats and Wikis

Mark Andrew Jaroski mark at geekhive.net
Mon Jan 15 02:08:35 PST 2007

Hi all,

As you might know if you happened to read my post from the other week
I'm working on an implementation of hCalendar and hCard for a
MediaWiki-based site called Wikevent.org.  The hCalendar implementation
has beem pretty straight-forward, but I'm running into a great big
sticking point with the hCard implementation, to wit, hCard has several
required attributes as it must, but in a Wiki nothing should be required
since you want to accept all good-faith contributions. Somebody can come
along and add the required data later, but not if you reject the
original contribution.

So, the obvious thing to do is to just go ahead and render incomplete
hCard data as HTML without the additional hCard markup, or at least
wihout the vcard class in the parent tag.

That's exactly what I was about to do, and then it occurred to me that
some people might want to have the incomplete hCard anyhow, even if it's
not actually valid per-se.  So, maybe it would be valuable to have
something like vCard-incomplete to wrap incomplete hCards with?  I can
see an argument that that might pollute the discussion, and lead to
incompatible implementations, etc. so I'm not going to just go ahead and
do it, but like I said it might be useful for some people.

What do you think?

Thanks!

-mark