[uf-discuss] Inline style conflict?

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Mon Jan 15 10:25:41 PST 2007

In message <1bc4603e0701141706w3b2d24c0ldd4aa0f4f145e7 at mail.gmail.com>,
Chris Messina <chris.messina at gmail.com> writes

>I'm not sure about the degree to which Google actually uses meta tags
>anymore, but if someone has a definitive reference to shed some light
>on this, it might be useful from an anecdotal standpoint, only.

Evidence and "definitive references" are not "anecdotal".

A Google search for "West Midland Bird Club Birmingham branch" gives, as
the first result:

        West Midland Bird Club: Birmingham Branch
        The West Midland Bird Club's branch in Birmingham, England.
        www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/birmingham/index.htm

Note that the second line of that quote, the description, is from
either:

        branch in Birmingham, England.">
or:
        Bird Club's branch in Birmingham, England.">

(most likely the first) and does not appear on the page concerned.

Compare it with the description in the second result of a search for
"microformats":

        Designed for humans first and machines second, microformats are
        a set of simple, ...
        Instead of throwing away what works today, microformats intend
        to solve ...

        microformats.org/about/

Those ellipses are a literal quote, not my shorthand.

--
Andy Mabbett

        <http://www.pigsonthewing.org.uk/uFsig/>

                Welcome to the 12-day week!