[uf-discuss] Microformat to describe a broadcast

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Mon Jan 15 11:03:29 PST 2007

In message
<C758DF305837284A8DA71883046BC74E01D0FED2 at bbcxue219.national.core.bbc.co.
uk>, Michael Smethurst <Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk> writes

>We'll certainly be looking at:
>- hCard for programme contact details
>- hAtom (which is lovely) for schedule listings
>- hReview for album reviews (http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/xmzf/)

Again, that's great.

>Next and previous is tricky

Why? You already have "next day" and "previous day" links on:

        <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/schedule/>

all you need to do is add rel="next" or rel="prev" to them. Likewise
next and previous week links on:

        <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/schedule/week/>

>We aim to provide a page per episode (not per broadcast)

I can see why that might sometimes be an issue, but, for example:

        <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/clareinthecommunity/pip/fjezd/>

is for an episode dated 8 January 2007; with links to pages for episodes
dated 1 and 15 Jan.

Of course, it would be better if the above was, say:

        <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/clareinthecommunity/20070108/>

or, perhaps:

        <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/clareinthecommunity/2007/episode002/>

or:

        <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/clareinthecommunity/series003/episode05/>

or:

        <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/clareinthecommunity/2007/01/08/>

(the later would particularly suit long-running, frequent programmes
such as the Archers.)

>http://www.plasticbag.org/files/misc/pips_etech.pdf

Pardon?

>Since many episodes are broadcast many times (often across multiple
>networks) (eg episode 3 of Torchwood) we couldn't really do next and

No, but, as above, you could do so in episode terms; and for daily and
weekly schedules.

>Parent is also tricky since an episode can have multiple containing
>objects (brand, series, season, network) which don't wrap nicely into
>each other

That's an editorial judgement call. Don't forget that you can also use
rel="appendix", rel="section" and rel="start".

>Anyway, I'll keep you informed

Thank you. Please do - I'm sure folks here would be happy to evaluate
prototypes.

--
Andy Mabbett

        <http://www.pigsonthewing.org.uk/uFsig/>