[uf-discuss] [hCite] dates

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 09:55:18 PST 2007

On 1/17/07, M. Jackson Wilkinson <jackw-uf at jounce.net> wrote:
> Brian Suda wrote:
>  >> publication date: 21
>  >> date accessed: 3
>  >> date copyrighted: 1 (from OCLC worldcat online)
>  >>
>  >
>  > --- the other senario is to strip this down to the basics for a
>  > version 1 and NOT include those lesser used dates, then use hCite for
>  > awhile, see what falls down and itterate?
>
> I'm confident that we could come up with other examples of "date
> accessed" use in the wild, as it's very much a requirement of academic
> citations of potentially-transient resources, such as web pages,
> regardless of that page's likelihood to change.
>
> I haven't seen much need for "date-copyrighted," so I'd second removing
> that one from an initial spec.

Yes, on further review, OCLC worldcat uses date-copyrighted, but has
no date-published, leading me to believe that it means date-published,
because they are often the same date. (An interesting table with extra
info about this is at
http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/training/Hirtle_Public_Domain.htm)

So I would also vote to remove date-copyrighted, and consider adding
it in a later revision if necessary. If no-one objects today, I'll
remove date-copyrighted and add a note pointing to this discussion.

-mike

>  > There was the same discussion awhile about about how to mark-up
>  > "Fall", "Spring", ... Then there is the weird senario in the UK where
>  > some Magazines come-out a month before their publication date.
>
> This is the case with many American magazines to which I subscribe as
> well, for what it's worth.
>
> -J

Michael McCracken
UCSD CSE PhD Candidate