[uf-discuss] Vote Links: rel="voted-for"

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 09:42:16 PST 2007

On 18 Jan 2007, at 16:50, Ara Pehlivanian wrote:

> Yeah except that the spec states that rel "describes the relationship
> from the current document to the anchor specified by the href
> attribute". So putting "vote-for" in the description would be an
> incorrect description. Rather, I think "voted-for" would be a more apt
> description to the related link.
>
> Your thoughts?

“The rel and rev attributes play complementary roles -- the rel
attribute specifies a forward link and the rev attribute specifies a
reverse link.”
	— http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#rev-link

Starting with rel:

• rel="alternate" means ‘the linked document is an alternate
representation of this page’

Therefore using rev describes a reverse of that definition:

• rev="alternate" would mean ‘this page is an alternate
representation for the linked page’

With vote links:

• rev="vote-for" means ‘this page is a vote for the linked page’

and reversed:

• rel="vote-for" means ‘the linked page is a vote for this page’

Hope that clarifies the attributes for you, Ara.

Ben