[uf-discuss] Aggregation of vevents in vcalendar [newbie]

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 05:20:07 PST 2007

On 1/18/07, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> Consider:
>
>         <http://tinyurl.com/youmw3>  ['Radio Times' (UK)]
> and
>         <http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/search/grid.cgi>
>
> where there could be a calendar for each channel (BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio
> 2, BBC One, BBC Two, etc.)

--- true, but to me that says "subscribe to all (everything i see on
this page)" when you click through to an individual Radio/TV page and
only see that calendar, that to me says "Subscribe to this calendar".

It is akin to all the orange RSS buttons you see. Subscribe to
comments, subscribe to RSS, subscribe to RSS and Comments, subscribe
Atom, ....  it is all over-engineered. I think the simple "what you
see is what you get" wins.

Most hCalendar->iCalendars currently do not support vcalendar - that's
not to say they can't, but then the way you create links to extract
individual calendars and an additional requirement if an ID attribute
to differentiate WHICH calendar to extract all becomes necessary.
IMHO, lets keep it as simple as possible right now, unless this
becomes an absolute deal-breaker. I would image that any organization
would WANT people to know about all the eveents accross multiple
calendars rather than having to subscribe to 4-* individual calendars,
but at the same time, you can click through and still have the option
to subscribe to ONLY the calendars you want - it is the best of both
worlds and doesn't require any additional effort.

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk