[uf-discuss] Search on CSS element (was: Making Microformats Searchable)

Nir Yariv niryariv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 11:38:29 PST 2007

> Again, we're not asking anyone to read CSS file; we're asking them to
> index the "class" attributes of HTML they're already crawling. We
> already know that Google does look at this information (they did a
> report on it last year) and I'm fairly sure that there are a number of
> search companies aware of microformats. There are very few
> implementation issues: most programmers, including those at many
> search companies, are aware how to break up a space separated list of
> words.

The point isn't whether it's hard for search engines to support MFs
(obviously it isn't), the point is whether to wait for a solution to
come from SE's side or implement it now in the publisher side.

I'm sure that "a number of search companies aware of microformats" and
that "programmers, including those at many search companies, are aware
how to break up a space separated list of words", and yet so far,
AFAIK, no major search engine except Technorati actually supports
microformats.

In any case - no big deal. It may indeed arrive soon enough from other
SEs, and in any case it's really not something I'd go to flamewar
about :)