[uf-discuss] A dtstamp property for the geo microtag

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 00:11:07 PST 2007

On 1/23/07, Dimitrios Zachariadis <telemetry_mail at yahoo.gr> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I was wondering if there is any reason to avoid using
> the hCalendar "dtstamp" property inside a geo
> microtag.

--- depends. I'm not sure what you are trying to do? There is also a
REV property in vCard and a LAST-MODIFIED in iCalendar.

> Reusing this property gives a time dimension to the
> geo microformat, that might be useful when geo tagging
> pictures or videos, among other things. Would that be
> objectional for some reason?

--- this is true, but GEO can be in hCal and hCard, so maybe it is
best to use those WITH a GEO instead of GEO with extra bits in side?

> Some more thoughts about adding a reference system
> property, that could also be used for geo tags for
> other celestial bodies, like Mars or Luna, are layed
> out in
> http://microformats.org/wiki/thoughts_on_extending_the_geo_microformat
>
> Could this have any chance of been useful?

--- i think you need to ask, "is the currently being published in this
way", and does it need to be examined to find the current publishing
habits?

This reminds me, recently one of our fellow microformatters, Andrew
Turner, published a book about Neogeography[1]. Inside it covers some
of the ADR and GEO microformats, but mainly focuses on other
geographic data. It might be a good starting point for looking into
existing formats and publishing habits on the web.

-brian

[1] - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/neogeography/

--
brian suda