[uf-discuss] Vote Links: rel="voted-for"

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Tue Jan 23 10:08:44 PST 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 12:24 PM, Ara Pehlivanian wrote:

>> This is a very, very common mistake. So common, in fact, that the
>> current HTML5 draft drops @rev. In the interest of keeping vote-links
>> future compatible, we should rely on using both rel and rev. See the
>> rel-faq [http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-faq#Should_.27rev.
>> 27_even_be_used].
>
> See, now THAT doesn't make sense. I just understood the difference
> between rev and rel in relation to a Vote Link, and you need both. In
> fact, any HTML spec should keep it--and doing away with it because
> it's a common mistake is plain silly. It's too bad that the folks
> doing HTML5 are cutting it out. Maybe we can convince them otherwise.
> They'll be hobbling the spec if they do.

I disagree.

First of all, you don't need both @rel and @rev for votelinks. Right
now you just need @rev to declare votes. Linking in the opposite
direction doesn't add anything, as it is a 3rd party assertion (or
hearsay).

Secondly, if people can't figure out how to use it properly, they'll
use it improperly. Then people building tools will have to deal with
that confusion. It's better to just make the technology simpler and
unambiguous.

Removing @rev is not hobbling HTML5. Very few people who use it
properly and even more use it improperly. See Google Web Authoring
statistics for more data [1].

-ryan

1. http://code.google.com/webstats/index.html
--