[uf-discuss] Canonical hCards (was: Search on CSS element)

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Wed Jan 24 02:36:02 PST 2007

(0)
I agreee with Joe that "canonical" is the wrong word. "authorative" is
better. "best" is too vague.

On 1/23/07, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On 1/23/07 1:05 PM, "David Janes" <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> > On 1/23/07, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> >> Please take a look and add your thoughts on the problem-space and/or
> >> examples you have found in the wild for each type of "canonicalization"
> >> (there are more than one).
>
> Brainstorming will be much better AFTER we have documented examples in the
> wild and can then reason using those examples rather than hypothetical
> examples.

(1)

OK, I'm not going to get in a pissing match over this but you did ask
what's my _thoughts_ on this.

In any case, can we do this in a non-prescriptive manner - are we not
entering new terroritory here? We know

(a) people want this problem solved
(b) people are not solving this problem because they're waiting for
some to tell them how

Let me ask this: is there a _single_ example out there of what we want to do?

(2)

I disagree with you on the LINK matter, because I think

(a) it's not, strictly speaking, part of the microformat; it's a
description of behaviours to do with a microformat
(b) if they get it wrong, it is unlikely to introduce incorrect data
(i.e. graceful failure)
(c) "home page" (i.e. url) as a directory of sorts using LINK is a
well-understood (OpenID) and well-used (RSS/Atom) concept

However, I'm not going to getting in a fight over this either. No LINKs.

(3)

Do you (Tantek + all) agree with the following "architecture", or it
least think it's worth pursuing further:

(a) hCards without additional markup; "url" is used to lookup a URL
(b) at the URL we can either find:
(b.i) the authorative hCard; OR
(b.ii) a pointer to authorative URL with the authorative hCard
(c) it's easy to find the authorative hCard on the authorative URL

I'm sure we have the technology to to (b.ii), I just don't know if
anyone has done it. Anyone?

The reason I'm asking is I'm more willing to plug work into this, but
not if you've already decided that this approach will not work.

Regards, etc...
David

--
David Janes