[uf-discuss] XPN: Xhtml Professional Network - idea

Jonathan C Williams jonathan.williams at nyu.edu
Fri Jan 26 15:34:32 PST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Kilian Valkhof wrote:

> I imagined the XPN as a way to define client/developer
> (rel="client", rel="developer") relationships, and built from
> there. For example, add freelancer to it (rel="developer
> freelancer") or define what part you did on the website
> (rel="client sliced", rel="client design")

Hi Kilian,

How would you propose XPN deal with entities (both the referrer and
the linked page) that are not singular human beings (companies,
departments, etc)? It seems like a group microformat ( see http://
microformats.org/wiki/group-brainstorming ) would be a prerequisite
for meaningful XPN. However, all the proposals for a group
microformat are about the individual-as-member-of-group relationship
and don't seem like they would make allow XPN to express
relationships like "as an employee of Foobar ltd, I worked on project
X for Fred's Widgets".

Perhaps this is getting too close to hResume land, but it seems like
XPN, as it stands now, may not be as precise as I would like.

--
Jonathan Williams
NYU Steinhardt
jonathan.williams at nyu.edu