[uf-discuss] Re: XPN: Xhtml Professional Network - idea

Rafael Oliveira eu at rafaeloliveira.net
Sun Jan 28 18:06:42 PST 2007

Hi everyone. I'm new to the list =)

Sorry to intrude here but, I  believe it's not necessary an XPN. I
think just an addition of a client and a "service provider"* relations
is enough to fit in, and would be a nice addition.

Also, I agree that including the type of work done to a client or vice
versa would be getting in the resume territory and would be kind of
too much.

If the addition of these two should be done, the name would feel wrong
too, as Ben Buchana said, changing it to Relationship Network would
fit it better.

*Gotta figure out a better name for it, service provider isn't good.
But I can't think of anything better now.

2007/1/28, Ben Buchanan <microformats at 200ok.com.au>:
> Hi again,
>
> I wasn't saying all business/clients were friends - my point was just
> that creating a "business only" microformat seems counter productive.
> I think XFN and XPN should be superseded by one single, combined
> relationships microformat which can cover all bases.
>
> If someone only wanted to show a friends network they could; if a
> company only wants to show business relationships they could do that
> too. Nobody would be alienated with a combined uf.
>
> I would happily see XFN extended with business relationships since
> it's only the name which prevents that happening. Rename it from
> "friends network" to "relationship network" or something and it's all
> good :)
>
> To approach it another way - XFN is essentially just an addon to
> blogrolls. A business blogroll does not have any requirements that
> cannot be met by XFN's pattern - it's just that XFN is limited to a
> narrow set of "friend" relationships (although they spill over to
> professional as well, with colleague etc). We could extend XFN - which
> is already adopted by many people/sites - to include more values and
> avoid creating competing ufs.
>

> I feel that you're heading into resume territory - allowing people to
> specify what they did on a specific project. Still valuable, but not
> something that would really work in a blogroll situation (being the
> most common use of XFN I've seen so far).
>
> cheers,
>
> Ben
>
> --
> --- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
> --- The future has arrived; it's just not
> --- evenly distributed. - William Gibson

Rafael Oliveira
http://rafaeloliveira.net