[uf-discuss] Authenticity of Authoritative hCard (was: Re: Vote on this: rel="me self" to indicate an authoritative hCard)

Ara Pehlivanian ara.pehlivanian at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 08:20:33 PST 2007

On 1/31/07, David Janes <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com> wrote:
> How if there's another Ben Ward? Sorry, lot's of people have thought
> about this problem in lots of different realms (as I mentioned,
> OpenID) and it's intractable.

I guess there's no way to manage the partial hCards as they could
point anywhere and someone with the same name could easily be confused
with a potential identity hijacker. So yeah, that doesn't work.

As for authentication, I'm not sure it even matters come to think of
it. If anything, the site/page on which the authoritative hCard is
found is what needs to be authenticated rather than the piece of
markup itself.

In the end I think that the context is what lends credence to the
authenticity of the authoritative hCard and not the hCard itself.

A.