[uf-discuss] Hidden metadata no microformats

Alex Faaborg faaborg at mozilla.com
Mon Jul 2 15:42:23 PDT 2007

> One question invisible metadata raises is if it's not worth seeing,
> why is it worth publishing?

I can imagine Web designers wanting to associate invisible metadata
with a button (that says "Add to Calendar" or "Map"), so that a
microformat aware Web browser would detect the metadata and register
down clicks on the button as acting on the metadata.  This
information would likely appear elsewhere on the page (probably also
using microformats), but the button provides a visual affordance for
the action.

In our current designs, we are considering changing the mouse cursor
when the user hovers over microformatted content, but that doesn't
present the user with any indication that they can act on the data
until after they have moved the mouse over it.

So in this particular case, I think leveraging invisible metadata
makes the interface more usable overall.

-Alex