[uf-discuss] Ufs on bbc.co.uk/music

Paul Wilkins paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jul 5 05:37:00 PDT 2007

Michael Smethurst wrote:

>Seem to remember at the time I asked what the line of demarcation would be
>between people as people and people as organisations. Are you just saying
>music artists? What about actors, politicians, bloggers? Music artists who
>act? Actors who become politicians? Politicians who blog?
>
>Feels like you're splitting the world into 2 camps: celebrities and others.
>Unless it's clearer what the logic is going on here I'm not happy to do this

You have three ways of formatting a name for use in an address book.

1. n (family-name, given-name, additional-name, honorific-prefix,
honorific-suffix)
Where you can mark up the explicit parts of the name with the above
class names.
See http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Property_List

2. fn n
Where the name can be guaranteed to be one of the defined formatted name
structures
 * given-name (space) family-name
 * family-name (comma) given-name
 * family-name (comma) given-name-first-initial
 * family-name (space) given-name-first-initial (optional period)
See http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Implied_.22n.22_Optimization

3. fn org
Where it is the name of not necessarily a person, but of an organisation
with a varied naming structure.
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Organization_Contact_Info

There is a clear demarcation line here.

If you can guarantee that the name will be given as family-name,
given-name, etc... then Option 1 is used.
If you can at least guarantee the the name will be valid as a formatted
name, then Option2 is used.
If neither of those two can be guaranteed, you're left with Option 3 or
nothing.

There is a strong case for considering artist names as their
organisational name. Their names are widely varying, and often have
nothing to do with the persons individual name itself.

--
Paul Wilkins