[uf-discuss] making img machine-readable

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Sun Jul 15 09:48:35 PDT 2007

On Jul 15, 2007, at 2:55 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>> That should be marked up in a more modern manner using CSS image
>> replacement, which entirely resolves any issues.

>> span>
>
> That's a matter of opinion, and an option not open to users of some
> systems.

What systems specifically?  And what publishers?  If the above
publishing method presents real world problems, we should identify
them as specifically as possible to explore alternative solutions.
But we can't do that without any details.

> Besides, using microformats shouldn't require a publisher to use
> one valid method over another; the example I give above *is* valid.

It passes the validator, but I think it's very questionable whether
it adheres to the HTML spec, which says "since style sheets offer
more powerful presentation mechanisms, the World Wide Web Consortium
will eventually phase out many of HTML's presentation elements and
attributes" [1].  There's also a recommendation of "Separate
structure and presentation" [2].  The idea behind the introduction of
style sheets was to move styling such as gothic letters into styles
sheets and out of HTML documents, which are intended for content
only.  Such styling still makes it through the validator, and so does
alt="top left corner".  Both are discouraged in the spec.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/intro.html#h-2.3.5
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/intro.html#h-2.4.1

Peace,
Scott