[uf-discuss] Voluntary Public Domain declarations now enabled on the wiki

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:34:18 PDT 2007

On 7/18/07 8:27 AM, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

>>> I'll consider making all my contributions PD only once that
>>> statement is removed from the specs, and they're made available as PD, or
>>> under a free license.
>>
>> Sounds like we need some way to track which contributors to a
>> particular spec have made such a dedication.  Any volunteers?
>
> I don't think that will help, because people using the PD template have
> explicitly excluded pages using the MicroFormatCopyrightStatement2004
> template, or indeed any other such claim), with the words "unless
> otherwise stated".

That phrasing "unless otherwise stated" was taken from the Wikipedia
public-domain-release.

I can understand how that perception of exclusion could be a concern, though
certainly from my perspective, that was not the intent.

For specifications where I am the sole author/editor, I have simply removed
the MicroFormatCopyrightStatement2004 template.

For specifications where I am a (co)-author or editor, I have updated the
them with an explicit public domain release from me.

I encourage other authors to do the same (as well as add the
{{public-domain-release}} to their user pages.

For each specification that all the authors have done so, we can remove the
MicroFormatCopyrightStatement2004 template.

Thanks,

Tantek