[uf-discuss] Re: Voluntary Public Domain declarations now enabled on the wiki

Ernest Prabhakar ernest.prabhakar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 16:51:36 PDT 2007

Hi Andy,

On Jul 20, 2007, at 4:40 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>> Please consider adding "retroactively" or "all past, present and
>> future contributions" to the text.
>
> I think any attempt to change the terms of a statement whereby
> people have released some of their rights, after they have done so,
> to make it appear that they may have relinquished additional rights,
> would be regarded as highly suspect and of no legal standing,.
>
> If you want to apply new - and especially more relaxed - terms, each
> individual will have to agree to them again.

You're right -- if it becomes a problem, we'd need to create a new
version "{public-domain-2}" and ask people to "up" their commitment to
that.  However, that's probably premature at this point. I do think
everyone here is doing their best to act in good faith, so hopefully
some of the corner cases will be sorted out through other means in the
next week or so.

-- Ernie P.