[uf-discuss] Mediawiki accesskey shortcut usage instructions

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 25 12:42:15 PDT 2007

On 7/25/07 2:29 AM, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> In the same edit, Tantek restored instructions, such as "use CTRL S to
> save", which I'd removed, which are OS and browser specific, on the basis
> that they help some people.

Actually, ctrl-s/alt-s help *the vast majority of people* who use Windows or
Mac for that matter, as the modern browsers on those systems all support the
respective ACCESSKEYs, as do most browsers on linux systems as well.  90+%
easily in terms of total marketshare etc.

If you'd like to suggest improvements for how to word these efficiency
enhancing shortcut tips, it would be great to hear them, but summarily
removing them when clearly they were intended to help was a bit rude.

> All the usability guidance I've ever read on
> the subject, cautions against giving such advice, which is akin to saying
> "to get coffee, turn left, then second right, then the kitchen is first
> left". This will help everyone in the office where I work, but probably
> won't apply to many other people reading this.

The analogy is false as the coffee directions apply to perhaps <1% of the
people on this list, but the Mediawiki accesskey shortcuts apply to >99% of
the people on this list.

Tantek