[uf-discuss] hListing and hReview

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 4 08:07:11 PDT 2007

On 6/4/07 7:59 AM, "Taylor Cowan" <taylor_cowan at yahoo.com> wrote:

> hReview and the proposed hListing are very similar, sharing structure and
> properties.  They both use "item" and it seems logical that they should work
> exactly the same in that area...but they are just different enough to cause
> parsing issues.  From the hReview page, it states that "fn" must be a
> child....
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hreview
> Encapsulated microformats (e.g. hCard and hCalendar events for now) may be set
> on the item itself (e.g. class="item vcard"). However, when using item info
> subproperties ("fn", "url", "photo"), they MUST be nested inside the item
> element.

Yes, that was one of the clarifications that went into hReview 0.3.

> However, on the hListing proposal, item and fn are used in an example like
> this:

> If we can make them agree it sure is easier to write pasers, in this case you
> merely take an exising hReview parser and add/change a few property names.

The hListing proposal "forked" from an earlier version of hReview and that's
why it allows that.

The hListing proposal needs to be updated with the same rule(s) as hReview.

> Since there are already public examples of that on edgeio I wonder if the
> restriction in hReview should be relaxed regarding ("fn", "url", "photo") as
> child nodes.

We should actually go the other direction, update hListing with the help of
the Edgeio folks.

It is important that microformats iterate and evolve properly, without being
burdened by inertia of early implementations.  We had a similar discussion a
while ago about xFolk.

> It also seems that a second identifier within the same @class
> attribute is really a child anyway.

> space</fn></item>

This assumes that class name order is relevant which is false.

The class attribute is a space separated *set* of class names.

Thus

Thanks,

Tantek