[uf-discuss] Microformats gets strong showing in Firefox 3 UI

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:49:23 PDT 2007

Hello Paul,

On 6/4/07, Paul Wilkins <paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> > Why not just restrict the cursor thing to be activated over the actual
> > "data" of a Microformat.
>
> That sounds like a nice idea, but then you're getting into the realms of
> mystery-meat navigation.
> http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/mysterymeatnavigation.html

The cursor thing could be in addition to other ways (that don't
exhibit MMN) of getting at Microformats.

But I think having the cursor thing (in addition to other ways of
getting at the Microformats) can make for a better user experience.
And improve usability.

For example... if I see a person's name on the web page (that I
vaguely remember), I'd love to be able to right click on their name
and bring up all the convo's and IM messages I've had with them in the
past (to jog my memory).

Sometimes doing something like that (... like right clicking to bring
up a context menu...) makes more sense to the user, than instead of
going through a bunch of menus on the menu bar, or something like
that.  The name is there on the webpage... therefore (conceptually)
I'd like to do things with that name on the webpage.  (Even though it
is a MMN technique.)

(MMN is only bad is there is no non-MMN way of doing it.)

[...]

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc. <http://ChangeLog.ca/>