[uf-discuss] Microformats gets strong showing in Firefox 3 UI

Colin Barrett timber at lava.net
Tue Jun 5 23:13:45 PDT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 10:57 PM, Paul Wilkins wrote:

> Strictly speaking it isn't MMN because navigation itself isn't
> involved. The problems surrounding the cursor change though are
> identical. If it is the only mechanism to find microformat content,
> it won't be found until someone chances across it if they notice it
> changing when it crosses such content.

I was thinking about this, and I wonder -- how did people learn the
behavior that you can click on a blue, underlined piece of text? Think
about a pre-web world where nobody knew what hypertext was. People
needed to figure out somehow that you could click on links to make
them activate.

Enter, the hand cursor. If you think about it, it tells you nothing
about what's actually going to happen when you click -- instead, it
looks like someone about to click the mouse, so I suppose it's
inviting for people to mimic the gesture? This still doesn't answer
the question of how people would discover this. My guess is that
people scan the page with their mouse as they read. I know I do that
sometimes. Anyone have actual evidence?

Perhaps we don't need to worry about discoverability of microformats
further than just changing the cursor, after all.

-Colin