[uf-discuss] Question about telephone numbers

Rickards, Julian (NDM) julian.rickards at ontario.ca
Thu Jun 21 05:12:18 PDT 2007

I don't like the first block of code below because it produces a link
that some users might think is clickable (i.e., takes them somewhere of
significance) and that is not the purpose of the link, it is meant to
indicate inclusion in a group. This begs the question, why would anyone
think that a link is a means to group related information or assign
commonality to a group?

The second code is not much different than what I originally had except
instead of <abbr title="Work" class="type">Wk.</abbr>, I had <span
class="type">Work</span> and neither get around the requirement to
include "Work" in every phone number I am listing on the page (a listing
of work numbers).

Last night, I came up with two ideas.

  1.  Using the code, <span class="type hidden">Work</span>, I could
create CSS to hide the contents of the hidden class. It doesn't get me
around needing to add "Work" to every phone number but it does hide it
from sighted users (with CSS-capable browsers).
  2.  What about using the title attribute to indicate phone type such
as <span class="tel" title="work">1-234-567-8901</span>?

Just my 2 cents,

Jules