[uf-discuss] microformats for normal people, like my mum

Alex Faaborg faaborg at mozilla.com
Wed Jun 27 21:17:55 PDT 2007

> For me, the question is what does the non-developer end-user
> perceive when they see the "SmartData" icon?  How does that relate
> to their world? It isn't about the formatting or the HTML tags...
> Those are things that end-users don't really care about or even
> conceptuallize.

In case anyone is curious what is going on with microformat UI design
for Firefox 3, we are considering presenting microformatted content
to the user with an icon in the location bar, similar to RSS (and
possibly RSS and microformats will be grouped into a more generic
"send data to application" icon, which was brought up in a different
thread on microformats-discuss):

http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/20070204-detectionUI/
locationBarMenu.jpg_large.jpg

Additionally, when the user hovers the mouse over an area of the page
that contains microformatted content, we will change the cursor to
display the associated application (or a generic icon if no default
has been selected):

http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/20070426-detectionUI2/
cursorChange.jpg

The mouse cursor change will also hopefully apply to file types and
protocols (mailto:, webcal:, etc.)

> I've thought about this before...I can see the specific microformats,
> like hCard and hCal and hReview being public facing...and, in reality,
> these are pretty descriptive.

In our designs we avoid showing the user the microformat name, and
focus on the associated application.  Instead of seeing "geo" or
"adr" the user will only see "Google Earth" (or a generic picture of
a globe if they haven't chosen an application yet, probably on
microformat green).

Due to privacy concerns the browser can't expose the user's default
applications to Web sites, so I think Web developers should be
encouraged to design based on actions, not data.  A green button that
says "Send to Calendar" is considerably more useable than a green
button that says "hCal" (actually these are often red for some
reason, http://microformats.org/wiki/icons).  Also, I personally
think Web designers should be encouraged to use images instead of
acronyms.  In addition to being more descriptive, they localize
better.  Here are some I've been showing in various talks:

http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/20061213-fundamentalTypes/
fundamentalTypesStatic.jpg_large.jpg

-Alex