[uf-discuss] microformats for normal people, like my mum

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Thu Jun 28 07:59:34 PDT 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 8:53 PM, Tara Hunt wrote:

> Oh and non-experts/non-developers don't talk about data (or content,
> really), they talk about:
>
> addresses
> photos
> blog posts (now)
> videos
> events
> reviews
> resumes
> etc.
>
> SmartData is nice for us, but all of you are still thinking like
> developers ('cause, duh, you ARE developers!).

You're right, they don't talk about "data" they talk about objects,
and a wide variety of them at that.

They don't talk about CSS or Table-less design, or semantic markup,
or flashobject embeds

Microformats do a *lot* of different things, and they're going to do
more. I don't think we need a "pretty" outward facing name because
frankly there isn't one name that would represent all the things
being done, and I think most of the scenarios should be transparent
anyway

Have hAtom in the page? just lump in in with the existing feed
handling mechanism

Have contacts embedded in the page? Well then you'll want the user to
"Export Contacts"

Using XFN? "Check for shared friends?"

rel-tag? maybe save the tags behind the scenes when the page is
bookmarked!

We don't need to invent a new name just so we can present a web
surfer with a dialog that says "Do you want to save this
SuperUltraMarkup Event?"

That's just my dollar and a half

--
[ Chris Casciano ]