[uf-discuss] Date of Death in hCard

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Jun 28 08:12:54 PDT 2007

On Jun 28, 2007, at 8:37 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>> I would be prepared to have ‘hCard profile extensions’ separated
>> from hCard, though. There's value in the hCard spec being 1:1 with
>> vcard, especially with regards compatibility with desktop tools.

>> Does anyone agree?
>
> No; I strongly disagree.
>
> We'd then have two standards, on being a subset of the other, and
> the distinguishing feature would be that the subset is defined by
> an obscure standard that most people have never heard of.
>
> That doesn't seem to fit with the microformats ethos, at all.

I suspect we're interpreting Ben's proposal differently, but this
looks like modularity to me, one of the principles of microformats.
There's already a "Specifications That Use hCard" section in the
hCard spec, including geo and adr, which go into hCards.  "died" or
whatever could be another addition to that list.  However it is made,
I think there needs to be some distinction between vCard-derived and
other properties, because the vCard RFC is currently referenced as
the definition of hCard properties, and we don't want people confused
hunting through the vCard RFC looking for "died" or other properties
that aren't there.

Peace,
Scott