hCard history and extensions (was Re: [uf-discuss] Date of Death in hCard)

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Jun 30 10:10:41 PDT 2007

I think Jeremy is absolutely right.  Genealogy data can already be semantically marked up with existing
microformats.  Don't forget to include the Citation microformat for genealogical sources.

Also, it is important to keep the one-to-one mapping of the VCARD standard to hCard.  VCARD already
offers extensions; see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2426#section-3.8  If you want to include a field for
"Date of death" then  VCARD allows something like

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
N:Darwin;Charles
FN:Charles Darwiin
BDAY:1809-02-12
X-DEAT:1882-04-19
END:VCARD

"DEAT" is the GEDCOM tag for date of death.

This would  make the microformat look like

    born on <abbr title="1809-02-12" class="dtstart bday">February 12,
 1809</abbr>
    and died on <abbr title="1882-04-19" class="dtend x-deat">April 19,1882</abbr>.

Of course, the problem for microformat parsers is to determine which  x-* class maps to what microformat.

One of the purposes of a genealogy microformat would be to import genealogy data from a Web page into a
genealogy application, perhaps by creating an intermediate GEDCOM interchange file.  This makes it
necessary to accomodate approximate dates or ambiguous dates, eg:

    born on <abbr title="ABT 1800" class="dtstart bday">about 1800</abbr>
    and died <abbr title="AFT 1885-01-01" class="dtend x-deat">after 1 January 1885</abbr>.

The additional class of "hgenealogy" could help parsers deal with dates which are invalid in iCalendar,
but perfectly acceptable (and necessary) in GEDCOM.  I just made up that syntax now; I'm not proposing a
formal Genealogy microformat here.

--Bob.

This is what Jeremy Keith <microformats-discuss at microformats.org> said
about "Re: hCard history and extensions (was Re: [uf-dis" on 30 Jun 2007 at 15:11