[uf-discuss] Scraping or parsing?

Michael MD mdagn at spraci.com
Fri Mar 2 12:40:11 PST 2007

> Yep, a combined profile would certainly be useful. There is still
> value in having multiple profiles in that it allows independent
> development (and deployment), microformats at different levels of
> maturity can comfortably coexist.

I've been experimenting with trying to parse such profiles into perl hashes
to use for parsing microformats but have come accoss some problems.
I don't see how special cases where something has to be extracted in a
different way are expressed in the profiles.
(eg for rel-tag it needs to split the url in the href attribute and get the
last part)

>> Finally, consider the single most informative page on the microformats
>> wiki -- http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-classes.  Not in anything
>> like a profile-style definition list format, but it could be (probably
>> as multiple lists).

yes I even tried using a html parser to parse the table on that page into a
perl hash so that I could have some kind of data structure to experiment
with!