[uf-discuss] Re: "Well-known" URLs

Angus McIntyre angus at pobox.com
Sun Mar 4 05:34:13 PST 2007

At 02:32 -0500 04.03.2007, Mike Schinkel wrote:
>Edward O'Connor wrote:
>>  If the intent is simply to document the existing, legacy
>>  technologies that rely on such URLs (such as robots.txt),
>>  that seems reasonable to me.
>
>I'd be interested in documenting [1] them .
>
>Does anyone of any other initiatives to define Well Known Names besides
>these:?
>
>	http://mysite.foo/robots.txt
>	http://mysite.foo/favicon.ico
>	http://mysite.foo/w3c/p3p.xml
>	http://mysite.foo/sitemap.xml
>	http://mysite.foo/crossdomain.xml
>	http://mysite.foo/smbmeta.xml

You could add:

	http://mysite.foo/siteinfo.xml

although whether that's "well-known" is a matter of terminology,
given that few people have actually heard of it. It seems that the
SiteInfo 'standard' as proposed at:

	http://a9.com/-/company/help/siteinfo/

is quietly dying, and the A9 SiteInfo plug-in is no longer
maintained. Which may or may not be regrettable: I quite like the
idea, but it can be seen as just one more piece of clutter in your
root directory.

Angus