[uf-discuss] Scraping or parsing?

Karl Dubost karl at w3.org
Sun Mar 4 18:12:16 PST 2007

Le 5 mars 2007 à 10:08, Mike Schinkel a écrit :
> 1.) There are two schools of thinking, one of which I believe to be
> severely
> flawed:

IMHO, more than that. :) as there are nuances in between.

> 	A.) Don't worry about the syntax or how it is implemented, the tools
> will take care of make it easy.
> 	B.) Don't even think about tools until it can be done and easily
> understood by a human. Only then should tools be created.

> Of course I strongly believe that "A" is the flaw perspective
> although I
> know there are many people in that camp, you (it appears) included.

still, it depends on the context. All is a question of context.

> The technologies that work are the ones that are designed for
> humans first,
> with humans with tools second. If it can't be done in Notepad or
> VIM, it's
> probably a bad idea.

png, jpeg, gif, illustrator files, pdf, videos format?

But you might say that they are difficult formats, so what about
email, usenet, chat messenging, irc. How many of us are editing the
simple headers of emails by hand? :)

It doesn't make your point invalid, it is just that it is not black
and white :) It depends on the context and the way the technology has
been developed, and its level of maturity.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***