[uf-discuss] Scraping or parsing?

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Mon Mar 5 23:10:52 PST 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 11:23 PM, Ryan Cannon wrote:

> This thread is about the necessity of profile URIs. I think the
> problems
> started with Scott Reynen's assertion[1] that:
>
> > Profiles are not intended to work as parsing templates.  They just
> > identify the type of data so parsers can figure out whether or not
> > it's something they know how to parse.

That was not a statement about the necessity of profile URIs.  It was
only a statement of a simple fact: profile URIs provide
disambiguation, not parsing instructions.  I wrote that in direct
response to this:

On Mar 2, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Michael MD wrote:

> I don't see how special cases where something has to be extracted
> in a different way are expressed in the profiles.

Michael didn't see how that was expressed in profiles because it's
*not* expressed in the profiles.  That doesn't mean profile URIs
aren't useful, just that they don't solve the problem of
communicating parsing instructions.

Peace,
Scott