[uf-discuss] hCite elevator pitch and my bibliography generator

Paul Wilkins pmw57 at xtra.co.nz
Sat Mar 10 13:10:43 PST 2007

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> I needed a .bib-based bibliography generator for XHTML, so I wrote
> one with help from a friend who had developed a .bib parser. The
> output of my generator can be seen at
> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/thesis/html5-conformance-checker.xhtml#references
>
> I've wrapped the values of .bib fields in elements whose class name
> is the .bib field name. I did it just in case. I don't have any
> consumer use case for those class names. It was just super-easy to
> generate them.
>
> My use case (publishing an academic paper with a bibliography) is not
> mentioned as a use case at
> http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming . More to the
> point, the wiki has no consumer use case for my publication use case.
>
> Does this mean that hCite is not for me at all?

Not at all. You are using the BibTex format, which is covered in the
citation formats http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-formats

> If hCite is for me, what's the elevator pitch convincing me to put
> more effort into my generator? What benefits should I expect if I do?
> Is hCite mature enough to be implemented yet?

The citation microformat is a work in progress at this stage, so it's
not mature enough for programs to extract information from it, yet
examples of current use are being asked for at
http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-examples so that most popular uses
will be catered for.

The benefits are that people visitng your content with next generation
tools wil be able to easily extract and use the information in more
interesting and useful ways.
Tantek has a recent presentation about the big picture of microformats
at http://tantek.com/presentations/2007/02/microformats/

> Moreover, is it even possible to generate hCite from my source data
> (http://hsivonen.iki.fi/thesis/dippa.bib) without sacrificing the
> presentation that I want and without potentially generating bogus
> markup for personal names?

One of the big ideas behind the use of microformats is that it will
allow you to markup the content on your page without modifying the
presentation of it.

> For example, my source data does not  encode explicitly the given
> name, the family name and other stuff  that isn't quite neither. As
> far as I can tell, it is impossible to  tell heuristically that the
> middle token in these two names is  semantically different:
> Gavin Thomas Nicol
> Henrik Frystyk Nielsen

Those issues haven't yet been covered for for the citation microformat.

It may be possible for for a generator to parse through them and extract
the appropriate information though.
For example, honorific-prefix and honorific-suffix are a rather short
list. Then after those, the given name, family name and additional name
could be extracted in that particular order.

--
Paul Mark Wilkins
New Zealand Tourism Online