[uf-discuss] Geo Elevation Data

Alexander Graf alexander.graf at deri.org
Tue Mar 13 01:06:31 PST 2007

On 13.03.2007, at 04:57, Jon Clausen wrote:

> I apologize if this has been been discussed before.  I browsed through
> the wiki and the list archives and couldn't find any relevant threads
> or pages.   So I joined the list to ask :-)

Welcome to the list, Jon.

On 13.03.2007, at 05:24, Paul Wilkins wrote:

>> My first question is whether elevation has been proposed as part of
>> the geo draft specification?  Adding the third dimension would seem
>> natural and would add additional precision when adopted.
>
> Unfortunately the third dimension is being rejected at this time.
> However, if the vCard spec is updated to include an altitude
> component, then it will definately become a part of the hCard spec
> too.
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-issues
>
> If it does get decided to add an altitude component,  it'll be
> explored first on the brainstoming section.
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-brainstorming#geo_improvements
> But at this particular stage, extensions to hCard/vCard are being
> currently rejected.

To clarify, the geo microformat is a 1:1 representation of the "geo"
property in the
vCard standard. That's why extensions to geo are rejected as well.

I also would like to see a (maybe new) microformat which allowed for
altitude at
least but hopefully also for different projections, date systems and
so on. There is
way more to geographical coordinates than what geo offers. Jon, if
you want to
start creating a new geo-like format, I'll gladly help. You may want
to look at the
process (http://microformats.org/wiki/process) first.

There are a few places you can start looking at, regarding what
others have done:
	- http://microformats.org/wiki/thoughts-on-extending-the-geo-
microformat (abandoned)
	- http://microformats.org/wiki/location-formats