[uf-discuss] Formatting arbitrary dates, not part of hCalendar

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Mar 9 14:02:51 PST 2007

In message <45F129FE.8080306 at xtra.co.nz>, Paul Wilkins
<pmw57 at xtra.co.nz> writes

> you might write the date as 4/7/76 and force the reader to find and
>use the abbreviation, but as someone who cares enough to create a
>datetime design pattern, it should be obvious that writing the date as
>July 4, 1776 solves the problem.

That's not always going to be feasible; consider tabular data, or
verbatim quotations for instance.

>Another trouble is that with the arbitrary datetime pattern in use, how
>can the machine benefit from that information. It's not immediately
>clear.

It's not just the machines that might benefit. A semantically marked-up
date can be presented according to the users preferences. Given
2007-03-04, you might prefer to see March 4th 2007, where I prefer 4
March 2007 (see, for comparison, the user setting for dates in
Wikipedia).

--
Andy Mabbett
                  <http://www.pigsonthewing.org.uk/uFsig/>