[uf-discuss] An Inconvenient hCard

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Mon Mar 12 12:14:01 PST 2007

In message <45F5A81A.1010306 at xtra.co.nz>, Paul Wilkins
<pmw57 at xtra.co.nz> writes

>>>class="value">(514) 123-4568</span></p>

>> This is a misuse of abbr at best.
>>
>> See: open issue! 2007-01-26
>> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-issues

>I also see that you are the author of that open issue, and that it's
>been rejected.

Rejected with a request for further information, and subsequently
re-opened.

>The abbr design pattern is the currently accepted microformat method in
>which to provide machine readable information for human readable
>content,
>as it's defined in the TEL Type Definition at
>http://www.microformats.org/wiki/hcard-examples#3.3.1_TEL_Type_Definitio>n

>While the abbr element isn't being used strictly as it was originally
>intended, there are sufficient grounds to continue using it for the
>purpose of microformats.

Can you cite evidence that it's "currently accepted" for non-English
content, as in the above example; or clarify those "sufficient grounds"
for its use in such cases, please?

--
Andy Mabbett
                  <http://www.pigsonthewing.org.uk/uFsig/>