[uf-discuss] hCite elevator pitch and my bibliography generator

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 04:46:04 PST 2007

On 3/23/07, Paul Wilkins <paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
> > On Mar 10, 2007, at 23:10, Paul Wilkins wrote:
> >> You are using the BibTex format, which is covered in  the
> >> citation formats http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-formats
> >
> > Sure, but considering that I share my .bib, should I expect people to
> > want to scrape my (X)HTML-formatted bibliography?

--- YES! if you ONLY offer the reference as a .bib file then you are
locking people into having to use BibTeX. You can certainly offer the
.bib file, but by marking-up the XHTML, then people can extract the
semantics and create CSV, Dublin Core RDF, TXT, or other formats for
free. You do NOT have to have 400 small icons saying "download as:
..."

> If the .bib is used as the lone source for the XHTML, I suspect it would
> be easier to scrape the .bib file.

--- What i tend to do for things like vCards and iCalendars is to
create a "static" link to a .vcf file and then with Mod_rewrite or
other tools make that a Link to a service that converts the HTML to a
.vcf

The same can be done with a .bib file. That way when you update the
HTML page, you do NOT have to update several other files as well since
they are dynamically created from the single SOURCE XHTML file.

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk