[uf-discuss] [hcite] nesting container elements

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Mar 30 10:10:11 PST 2007

On Mar 29, 2007, at 2:41 PM, Michael McCracken wrote:

> I propose a 'container' class name that would be attached to a nested
> hCite instance to note when the nested hCite represents the containing
> item for the root hCite. The journal example above would then look
> something like this:

> with
>        different efficiencies by the methyl-directed DNA mismatch-
> repair
>        system of E. coli
>
> Comments?

Maybe this has already been covered and I missed it, but why wouldn't
we use HTML nesting to indicate citation nesting?  That is, rather
than specify which node is a container with a class name, do it by
actually having it contain the relevant nodes, e.g. (and I'm
proposing this as actual markup, just how nesting could work):

    		<h3 class="title">Different base/base mismatches are corrected
with different efficiencies by the methyl-directed DNA mismatch-
repair system of E. coli</h3>
	<h2 class="title">Cell</h2>

That would require parsers to know all potential sub-types of each
media type so an article title wouldn't get misinterpreted as a
journal title, but that looks to me like a relatively small burden
for parsers in exchange for simpler publishing.

Peace,
Scott