[uf-discuss] changing abbr-design-pattern to title-design-pattern?

Jon Gibbins (dotjay) dotjay at november5th.net
Tue May 1 01:52:41 PDT 2007

Tantek Çelik wrote:
> On 4/30/07 5:20 PM, "Jon Gibbins (dotjay)" <dotjay at november5th.net> wrote:

>> I'm guessing not, due to invalid characters.
>
> Worse, it hides data in the *rel* attribute which is an anti-design-pattern,
> as is putting data in the *class* attribute.  Both of these are designed for
> limited sets of terms/properties, not for data values.  Putting data in
> 'rel' or 'class' is a non-starter.

As I guessed, rel is only irrelevant for links anyway, so that's no use.

Didn't intend to dredge up namespaces if it's already been discussed
here and dismissed. My thoughts were really geared towards leveraging
the very fact that the datetime data *is* hidden in an attribute using
this method or a similar method. While I understand that a key-value
pair is expected and desirable, an ISO formatted datetime is not meant
for general human consumption - just for über geeks like us. Devising
such a mechanism for microformats would surely prove useful?

>> An alternative would be to reference a unique meta element in the
>> document head.
>
> Also bad - requiring access to head is a non-starter (many content scenarios
> forbid head access).  And meta, being both invisible and detached from
> inline content, is ill suited for storing any informantion that has *any*
> chance of being updated.

I guess if we've got microformatted content in a feed, we don't have a
head to refer to - good point. Detached is one thing, but you're yet to
convince me on the visibility part.

Jon

--
gr0w.com