[uf-discuss] Re: changing abbr-design-pattern to title-design-pattern?

Absalom Media absalom at iinet.net.au
Tue May 1 03:15:40 PDT 2007

More investigative notes on the 'spacer gif'/IE6 hack solution for the
date time design pattern:

Markup is as follows:
<abbr class="published" title="2007-04-30T08:06:28Z"><span class="abbr"
title="2007-04-30T08:06:28Z">Monday, 30 April 2007</span></abbr>

I've now got audio and text captures for Firevox and JAWS 8.

I've also confirmed the siFR "effect" and diagnosed that JAWS spits the
dumy due to some wonderful Javascript that's CMS dependent, not siFR
dependent (Note to self: fix that.. soon)

I set up JAWS to the letter  (screen capture on Flickr for reference
material sake) in terms of what Jon was looking for.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/absalomedia/479697317/

The only thing I haven't done is turn "speak alphanumeric data" on
(without phonetics) in any capacity. This begs the question:

Would the combination of "speak alphanumeric data" and "expand
abbreviations" produce the output seen by Jon, and explain why all
results thus far (JAWS set at advanced verbosity and expanding
abbreviations) give a different result ?

Thanks

Lawrence

--
Lawrence Meckan