[uf-discuss] Regarding POSH and misuse of the microformats logo

Frances Berriman fberriman at gmail.com
Mon May 7 05:10:31 PDT 2007

On 07/05/07, Keith Alexander <k.j.w.alexander at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ideally perhaps, but as we all know (and this is the reason this
> discussion is taking place), most HTML on the web contains significant
> amounts of presentational markup. Presentational elements are still in
> the html 4 spec. Many tools produce presentational html.
> So if you just have tutorials on 'HTML' almost all your target audience
> will think "I already know html", and skip it. But if you talk about
> "Semantic HTML", novices may be curious, and the more expert will
> probably still be interested.

Okay, yeah, that's fair.  I think there should be an emphasis on
teaching good semantic practices - which is ultimately what we all
want - it's just how we go about that that differs in opinion. :)

> I'm of the opinion that "Semantic HTML" is a perfectly fine term for
> Semantic HTML, and I'm a little sceptical of the utility of a new
> acronym for it. If there's a problem with people still not understanding
> semantic html, either the arguments for it aren't being made clear
> enough and loud enough, or maybe the arguments simply don't chime with
> html authors ' perceptions of what they are doing.

Agreed (but lets not call it SHTML or POSH, or anything other than
"Semantic HTML" :) ).  There's no harm in drumming in the semantic
part as being of great importance by explicitely stating it in that
way.

--
Frances Berriman
http://fberriman.com