[uf-discuss] Hidden Locality/Country?

Michael MD mdagn at spraci.com
Wed May 23 03:46:20 PDT 2007

>> Obviously I could just include the information, even though it serves no
>> function for the human readers of the site. But I am reluctant to add
>> redundant >information that serves no function to human readers -- part
>> of the draw of u-formats for me is the ability to have added semantic
>> information without >compromising my end-user experience.

I think it IS a good idea to include that extra information.

 I have done some work on aggregating international events data and I know
just how frustrating it is to get a machine to work out what country/city or
state something is in when that information is not explicitly provided.

...so I'd say it is better to include it - even if it has to be hidden
(as long as the authoring methods/forms/etc make it clear to the author what
has to be updated)

For me one of the most important reasons for using hCalendar is that you CAN
mark up locality/region/country as well as the dates/etc...
That is something that iCal/RSS+Event/etc don't have!

> I think that you could include the state abbreviation 'CA' without
> making the information too redundant.  It is true that everything's in
> California, but by making the a line if the address read:

this sounds like a good idea to me -
except that I think the country-name should also be included if possible -
even if it has to be hidden