[uf-discuss] Complete n00b: adr microformat

Francois Lafortune web.dizign at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 22:13:24 PST 2007

On 7-Nov-07, at 12:36 AM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

>> A2.2 AKA: Personal Vendetta
>>
>> I hate the way microformats are going through that whole adolescence
>> phase and bringing back major disease like acute divitus and severe
>> spanitis, My personal take on this would be something the likes of:
>>
>> <address>
>> <dl class="adr">
>> <dt class="work">Street Address</dt>
>> <dd class="street-address">111 some street</dd>
>> <dd class="extended-address">suite 101</dd>
>> <dt>City</dt>
>> <dd class="locality">Cooltown</dd>
>> <dd class="locality">Suburbia</dd>
>> <dt>Postal Code</dt>
>> <dd class="postal-code">H0H 0H0</dd>
>> <dt>Region</dt>
>> <dd class="region">OG</dd>
>> <dt>Country</dt>
>> <dd class="country-name">Canada</dd>
>> </dl>
>> <dl class="tel">
>> <dt class="type" title="fax">Fax:</dt>
>> <dd class="value">+1-111-111-1111</dd>
>> <dt class="type" title="work">Work:</dt>
>> <dd class="value">+2-222-222-2222</dd>
>> </dl>
>> </address>
>>
>> we have markup language people... dont be affraid to use it!
>
> be afraid to use it incorrectly however, as the above use of
> <address> does.

Duely noted, thanks!

> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-faq#Should_I_use_ADDRESS_for_hCards
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-faq#Why_is_adr_property_necessary
>
> homework assignment for incorrectly suggesting use of the <address>
> element
> and emotionally so ("hate the way microformats are going through
> that whole
> adolescence"):

I will do my studies! But my emotional beef is more about seeing divs
pop-up like it's a division party, and that sorta gets me roughed
up... But again, I'm no authority on the subject.... you are. Seeing
as you're someone I truly hold in hight regard, it would be great to
know your thoughts on my usage of the definition lists for marking up
a label => value set of data such as the adr and/or offer a cure for
divitus and spanitis.

> Please (re)read the HTML 4.01 specification from beginning to end.

Beginning to end? Harsh a bit no? Ok... Will do!

>  http://w3.org/TR/html401
>
> Then follow-up with reading POSH resources:
>
>  http://microformats.org/wiki/posh

I read that, I find the word "semantic" ambiguous in some contexts,
just as "tabular data" may be ambiguous to some.

> Thanks,

No, I thank YOU!