[uf-discuss] Complete n00b: adr microformat

James Howison james at howison.name
Wed Nov 7 08:08:53 PST 2007

On Nov 7, 2007, at 12:30 AM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> On 11/6/07 7:20 PM, "Katrina" <Kaz at t-tec.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Gday,
>>
>> I would like to ask a few questions about the adr microformat and I
>> really hope I am in the correct place. I am so sorry if I am not.
>>
>> I am trying to learn about microformats, and so far so good.
>>

>> Q1. I have an address I would like to mark up as an adr. Now the
>> problem
>> that I think I am having with this address is that it has a
>> country, a
>> state, a city, a suburb, a postcode, and a street address.
>>
>> As far as I know, adr only has region and locality.
>>
>> Possible markup example:
>>
>> If locality equates to suburb,
>
> It doesn't.  locality equates to city.  this has been true in common
> vCard
> implementations for many years.

Doesn't that depend on the local meaning of City vs Suburb? ie I think
Suburb makes more sense for Australian cities, where the suburb is a
more specific thing than the city.  ie 'Sydney' in an address refers
to a specific part of the whole geographical area more generally known
as Sydney, I think it is just a few post-codes (2000, 2001, 2002?).

eg Two Australian examples (from on the wiki) show this sense:

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/contactus

(Surrey Hills, NSW, 2010)

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/contactus

(Sydney, 2000) - but that's the specific use of Sydney (as a 'suburb'
of the greater metropolitan area, indicated by the post-codes).

Perhaps similarly one wouldn't put 'New York' when one meant Queens,
even though Queens is in some sense part of New York City, since New
York in addresses refers specifically to Manhattan, right? That's what
is done on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Infobox_New_York_City_Queens

(Also why can't I see the hcard/adr markup when I view source of that
wikipedia page, but Operator picks up the cards?)

--J