[uf-discuss] OBJECT include pattern and excess HTTP requests

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 03:53:01 PDT 2007

Hey hey,

Quick question for people publishing hReview.

Long ago when the OBJECT-include pattern was first raised, there was
a bug in Safari that made it unworkable. That bug got fixed.

However, there appears to be a separate, very serious browser issue
whereby browsers are making additional HTTP requests for each OBJECT
include in a page, even though the data attribute is making a same-
page fragment reference (#review-item or whatever).

I've swapped for the hyperlink include pattern (however, repeating
the review item name as the InnerText of the anchor, so as not to
create poorly accessible empty anchors).

What I want to know is if anyone else knows of a robust solution to
prevent browsers firing off these extra requests from the presences
of OBJECT?

My feeling is that the Wiki content on the include pattern needs a
tidy anyway, but if this issue with firing unwanted requests is
unfixable, I think we should restructure to promote the hyperlink-
include as the first-choice solution.

I should emphasise that whilst it may be a non-issue or trivial for
small-scale publishing, firing off these extra requests is a deal-
breaker performance problem on the scale of sites we have at Yahoo.

Ben