[uf-discuss] semantic web and microformats

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Oct 10 06:32:29 PDT 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 4:03 AM, Duncan Cragg wrote:

>>> The microformats community works on the basis of having the data
>>> embedded into the HTML. The RDF/SemWeb approach looks to have a
>>> consistent data model, and then having as many representations as
>>> you
>>> like of that data model. The data model for microformats differs
>>> based
>>> on which tool you use (perhaps it's in a key-value-pair array, or an
>>> object, or in an XML format) - even though it's getting the same
>>> syntax (HTML or XHTML). With RDF, you have the same model (subject,
>>> predicate, object) but with different syntaxes (XML, JSON,
>>> (X)HTML-with-GRDDL, N3/N-Triples, TriX, the new JavaScript proposal
>>> that's been circulating on the W3C semantic web mailing list,
>>> internal
>>> memory models, SQL table etc.
>>
>> Thats not quite right - the data model for any given microformat is
>> clear. I think the 'common JSON representation' idea is a good one to
>> help clarify this.
>
> I may have come late and missed this - what is this 'common JSON
> representation' of which you speak??

It's a hypothetical standard syntax for exchanging microformat
representations, being discussed on the microformats-dev list (as it
would only be used by developers).  Just like RDF, it would tell a
parser everything about the structure of a schema, but nothing about
the meaning.  Of course HTML already does that.

Peace,
Scott