[uf-discuss] OpenID delegation and XFN

André Luís andreluis.pt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 19:21:40 PDT 2007

According to [1] it's fine sticking rel attribute in link elements so
I don't see why not, generally. But read on.

I would even extend the question why not adding rev="me" since that
url should be mine as well.... but,this [2] proved me wrong..

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#edef-LINK
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-faq#Should_rev_even_be_used

I would like to add though, that the only situation where I see this
making sense would be when the user would like to have a certain page
related with all others social networks ( or more general, his/her
presences on the web) and not show that information. (just hiding it
with css smells funny to me).

Summarizing:

Case #1: User wants to connect his page with a bunch of others but
doesn't want that explicitly stated on the page => user includes
<link>s with  rel="me" attribute.
Case #2; User wants to create a landing page for himself and
explicitly state his other presences out in the open, for everyone to
see => user includes <a> with rel="me" attribute.

Final Note:
This could bring problems to certain implementations that would search
the DOM document for all <A> elements and not <A> and <LINK>. I'm not
sure whether this situation has been discussed earlier in the list or
is in the wiki. If so, I'd be thankful if someone could point me
there.

Cheers,
André Luís