[uf-discuss] invisible content OK?

Catherine Devlin catherine.devlin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 19:49:55 PDT 2007

Hi, everybody!  I'm a new enthusiast to the Microformats world.  I
volunteered to present them to our Web Standards meetup (
http://webstandards.meetup.com/122/ ), and now I'm frantically
devouring the uF book and making slides.

One question I haven't seen addressed is whether it's considered good
practice to hide information from the as-displayed webpage while
including it in the microformat.  For instance, I may be making a
chatty, informal blog entry - "We're gonna meet at noon this Wednesday
over tacos at Joe's".  I want to make it a full, rich hCalendar entry
for those who actually want to pull down a vCard for Joe's, yet I
don't want to break up the chatty, informal flow of my narrative-style
post by visibly including a lot of detail - Joe's zip code, etc.

I'm imagining doing this by including tags like
span class="street-address" title="123 1st street" style="display:none"

A live example is at
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com/2007/08/microformats-talk.html
(yes, I passed up an opportunity to embed an hReview there - I'm just starting)

Is there a better way?  Should I not be doing it at all?

the uF book mentions that one reason for the demise of META tags is
that, since they are invisible, they are rarely properly maintained -
that's one cause for doubt.  Yet it seems like there ought to be a way
to do this.  After all, one of the things I love about microformats is
that they don't impose restrictions on what you write and how you
write it - they can go anywhere HTML can go.

Thanks for your thoughts,
--
- Catherine
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com/