[uf-discuss] Re: Microformats UI in Firefox 3

Alex Faaborg faaborg at mozilla.com
Tue Sep 4 13:37:47 PDT 2007

> 1. You guys are proposing a radical change in microformats, and in
> the way microformats work

As Pelle mentioned, we are discussing the possibility of allowing
designers to add UI widgets to act on microformats in the content
area.  I certainly don't think this constitutes a radical change
since they would be optional, and we are working closely with the
microformats community to make sure we get it right.

> and have given us just a week to discuss/object

If these changes land in a release of Operator that we heavily
promote at the Firefox 3 launch, then we will have considerably more
time to discuss the various options.  If the microformats community
really wants to see this feature land in Firefox 3, then we
unfortunately will need to move rather quickly.

> 2. If radical change is implemented in firefox, all existing
> microformatted content will fail to work in firefox3

Not at all, these microformats could potentially still show up
elsewhere in the browser UI, for instance in a toolbar, or sidebar,
or a right click context menu on the microformatted content.

> 3. said radical change includes inline styles- functionally
> identical to presentational html tags.

We are open to all suggestions. Thanks for the css example, I've
added it to our list of possible solutions.  The user-action-x class,
action:// protocol, and navigator.send javascript method were only
proposed to get the conversation going.

> 4. In order to play nice with firefox 3, all publishers of
> microformatted content would need to add extra stuff to their markup.

This isn't about a requirement for playing nice with Firefox 3, if
Web designers decided they wanted to create buttons to act on their
microformatted content, then they would potentially be able to do so.

> 5. That extra stuff would *only* be necessary for firefox

I would be very happy to see the other browsers add similar support.
Unfortunately since they aren't developed in as transparent of a
manner, we have no idea if they are currently considering this type
of functionality or not.  One guaranteed way to get them all to
seriously consider adding the feature is for us to ship it in Firefox.

I hope that clears things up, and my apologies for the confusion.

-Alex